What is Spitball?
Spitball is a teaching platform that lets you teach adults and set your own pay rate. Some teachers have found a lot of success on this platform, while others have struggled to get students to sign up for their classes. This platform has the potential to pay well, but reach out to current teachers for insider tips.
- Overview of Spitball
- Interactive online teaching platform for up to 50 students
- Pay: Set your own
- Students: Teach adults
- Teacher Requirements: No ESL certificate required, no degree, no teaching experience
Here is a current page of a Spitball Teacher to look at as an example:
How to Sign up to Teach English as a Spitball Tutor
The first thing to do is to head to the Spitball website. Then click “Start Teaching” and fill in your email and choose a password or sign in with your Google account.
You will be sent an activation email.
Then enter your mobile phone number and you will be sent a different code. Enter this code and then you’re in!
Making your profile
Fill in your information and remember that this is what the students will see and on what basis they will select you as their tutor. Here are a couple of tips to put together your best profile:
- Price – You choose your own price, but remember, the students choose their tutors based on, among other things, the price. So look at the prices other tutors offer on the site and try to find the price that suits you. You can always change it. 🙂
- Picture – Choose a profile photo that really represents you as a tutor.
- Opening sentence and bio – This will give the student a sense of you as a tutor and what to expect from your classes
- Connect to the calendar – All your sessions will be updated automatically to your Google calendar.
You determine your hourly rate during registering on Spitball. You can adjust this any time after creating your profile.
How much does Spitball pay on average?
Spitball pays between $10 – $50 per student per class.
The Nitty Gritty of Pay
- Spitball takes a 9% commission per transaction.
- Spitball uses PayPal which charges a processing fee of approximately 2% – 2.9% + $.30 per transaction.
- Paying tax is a teacher’s own responsibility because tutors listed on Spitball are independent.
Bottom Line: Teaching for Spitball has the potential to pay well, but reach out to current teachers for tips to build an engaging profile. You can find teachers by going to a very helpful FB Group Hired Online ESL Teacher with Job Reviews. The group is managed by a very experienced ESL Teacher Jody Bryant, also a former Spitball teacher.
Consider checking out this site’s chart to see a comprehensive list of all the other online ESL companies you can work for, too.
Also, you can see this post about companies that pay more than $20 an hour.
“The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.”Mark Van Doren
Learn More About Teaching English Online
- Teach English online and get paid what you deserve
- My Cambly Review
- Digital Nomad’s Guide: Teaching English Online in Vietnam
- Cruising Through the ABCs: The 5 Stages of Phonemic Awareness
- Best Referral Bonuses in 2023
- Talk the Talk with Cambly
- What does ESL stand for?
- “¡Hola España! Teach English in Spain
- Teaching English Grammer: then vs. than
- Teach for Palfish in 2023