Best Audio Only ESL Jobs
The best audio-only ESL companies are:
So, you want to hide your face and teach English online without the video portion of the class…
Full disclosure: I have never taught for an audio-only English company.
I am extremely anxious on the phone because I’m always worried I will interrupt the other person. I prefer teaching via video.
There are a few online teaching websites and platforms that are audio-only, meaning there are some ESL jobs online that are audio-only, but not many.
However, some people would prefer not to be seen. Maybe you don’t want to worry about wearing a fancy dress shirt every day. Maybe you don’t want to worry about your classroom background.
Or maybe you don’t want to worry about the sometimes endemic racism, ageism, or lookism that comes up with any job where some people see other people. (Wow, that escalated.) I suppose a fear of surveillance may be another reason to side-step video chatting, and there are probably many others.
Whatever the reason, maybe you are interested in teaching but not interested in being on video. Here are some audio-only ESL companies that will hire you to teach ESL without expecting you to turn on your camera. These are online English classes that require audio only.
Audio Only ESL Companies
Tutoring offers a 1:1 chatting app, and they offer classes 24/7. They are geared toward adult Korean students. Though they are not hiring currently, they will hire early next year. Learn more about them at Tutoringgo.com.
Founded in 2001, Hujiang Education is a well-established Chinese company with over 140 million users. Hujiang is a professional e-learning platform offering a language learning platform that teaches multiple languages (English, European languages, Japanese, Korean). Hujiang is very diverse. The company has opportunities for teachers who want to teach audio-only adult classes. There are also classes for all student ages, adults, exam prep, college-level students, and children. These classes are on video. In addition, Hujiang has a strong focus on exam prep. This includes preparing students for college entry exams or career-oriented exams for students preparing to go study abroad.
Availability: 9 AM until 10 PM Beijing time
Pay: $16 – $20 per hour
Jason English is an online school based in Beijing, China, which employs you to teach students one-on-one. Jason English hires native speakers but also considers Filipinos, which is good to know. Most of the students you teach will be adults who want audio classes using QQ or SKYPE. However, Jason English also has some young student clients who use virtual classrooms, so if you teach kids, you will be required to be on video. It just depends on what you are hired for. Make sure to ask during your interview.
Availability Requirements: Be available to teach for a minimum shift between 6 pm to 11 pm (+8 GMT Manila/Beijing Time) for at least 5 days a week, including a one-weekend shift.
Pay: For Filipino teachers, rates vary between 115 pesos per hour to 225 pesos per hour with the opportunity to increase hourly rates. For native speakers with neutral accents, the company asks you to PM them for individualized rates.
Now and Talk
Now and Talk is a company that is geared towards Korean students and uses the Skype platform. A desktop/laptop is required for this position. They have regular and audio from Mondays through Fridays.
Pay: Up to php180/hr
Zamenhof is a company that hires teachers to tutor adults. No BA is required. However, a TEFL is required.
Pay is $16-$20
Go Incognito (kind of): Other methods to avoid the camera
In addition to the commpanies listed, there are other ways to teach English without showing your face. You just need to be a bit creative. Here are a variety of methods I can think of to avoid video chatting.
- Voice-only over Zoom: If you go freelance, you can use audio-only communication platforms, such as Skype or Zoom, to teach English without showing your face. This method allows you to focus on developing your students’ listening and speaking skills.
- Virtual avatars: You can use virtual avatars, such as Bitmoji or Voki (which is made for educators), to represent yourself while teaching English online. This method allows you to maintain your privacy while also making your lessons more engaging for your students.
- Screen sharing: You can use screen sharing to display lesson materials, such as PowerPoint slides or online resources, instead of showing your face. This method allows you to create interactive and engaging lessons without needing to show your face.
- Whiteboard teaching: You can use an online whiteboard tool, such as AWW or Miro, to create lesson materials and interact with your students without showing your face. This method allows you to engage with your students visually and creatively.
In conclusion, teaching English without showing your face is possible through various methods. As long as you are able to effectively communicate and engage with your students, there are several options available for you to teach English online without showing your face.
Finally, remember to check out our Comparison Chart that shows all the online ESL companies. Sort through the many ESL companies by clicking on the columns.
Interested in comparing other online ESL companies? Check out the MEGA CHART I made.
Bottom Line: If you are searching for audio-only English teaching jobs, then they are out there. Try the companies listed above and also post on Facebook forums like the Facebook Group Hired Online ESL Teachers with Job Reviews to find out about these opportunities.
Happy anonymous teaching!
And if this interested you, maybe peruse these posts I wrote on similar topics, too.
Audio-based ESL companies in the Philippines
ESL companies that are hiring now
“To teach is to learn twice over.”Joseph Joubert
Learn More About Teaching English Online
- The Ultimate Guide: Top 10 Online Jobs for Teens
- Penning Positivity: The Magic of Encouragement Letters
- Starlink Roam: Bridging the Galaxy for Online Education
- Bonjour! Guten Tag! Ciao! 6 European ESL companies you’ll love
- Dracula to Dangling Participles
- California Dreaming: Teach English Online from the Golden State